God has gone way out of the way to find the most ordinary people and fill them with an extraordinary love!
And we learned that in addition to the Spiritual Truth of the Bible that we explored last week, there is a fundamental and important level of factual truth that we must also contend with.
1. That there is One God, loving and creating the world and all the universe.
2. People in the bible were real, ordinary people, chosen by God for an extraordinary love.
3. Jesus lived, taught and died.
4. Jesus was resurrected from the dead and appeared alive to many witnesses.
5. The Holy Spirit of God is with us today.
Homework for this week includes:
1) Read Luke 15 (The Lost Chapter) and Matthew 16 all the way through.
When you come to a puzzling or challenging scripture, stop and let it sink in. Dwell on what it means to you.
2) Finish with an ending praise Psalm: 145, 146 or 150
3) Initiate a discussion with someone who is not close to you about their experience with the Bible.
Has it been good or problematic? Has it been helpful or hurtful. What do they remember about the bible. And just listen, don't argue with them or try to convince them about something.
Just listen. Show them some extraordinary love.
4) And continue to jot down some questions you may have about the bible. We'll be collecting them soon for an "Ask the Preacher" Sunday.