On Sunday, I shared a list of ways to present Jesus in a commerce-crowded culture. Here they are for your further reflection and prayers...
1) Attend all of our church celebrations and bring new friends with you.
2) Start a spiritual discipline for the next 30 days: 10 mins of prayer, read the upper room daily, write a journal or a letter to God, fast a meal a day (and give the money you save to charity), write a letter a week to someone around you about your faith in God.
3) Avoid debt, pay cash for everything. Give "Alternative" gifts that share love three ways.
4) Put only Christ centered Christmas decorations on your Christmas tree.
5) Set up your Nativity Scene (Creche) in
a new place, perhaps one more central to your home.
6) Take time to meditate daily, 15 minutes a day with no music, nothing to read. Think only about how much Jesus loves you.
7) Go to a religious performance or concert besides our own.
8) At family gatherings (and other places) talk about the most spiritual Christmas you have ever had.
9) Give the gift of time to each one of your loved ones: a lunch, a shopping trip, a walk on the beach: just the two of you.
10) Be sure to say "Merry Christmas" and "God Loves" you to everyone, even those who say: "Happy Holidays" to you. And sing Christmas carols where ever you go… none of that Rudolph stuff or Jingle Bells. (Well, ...maybe a couple of times is ok.)
And for some more tips, go to Alternatives for Simple Living website.