Their life was filled with scandal, a difficult journey, crowded conditions, troubling dreams, smelly shepherds and alien interlopers from a land "far away."
Their lives required something that we have in short supply these days: trust/faith in God. We need to find ways to obtain the same kind of trust/faith that Mary and Joseph had.
So in order to provide some help during this Christmas season, here are a few tips to keep our trust, to keep our focus.
1) Identify a favorite Scripture verse, memorize one if necessary, and remember it often. (You can also do this with a Christmas Carol.)
2) No matter how badly you see people acting, look at them the way God sees them: with love of where they are, but with hope of where they can be.
3) Remember the resurrection every time you see a manger and the infant Jesus.
4) Every time you need it, take a deep breath, and say the prayer: "Lord, I trust you to see me through, no matter what."
5) Take Jesus where ever you go, let him be you best friend. Listen to him.